“COOKING WITH GAS" doesn't mean what it used to
Scientists at Stanford University and PSE Healthy Energy measured air quality in homes with gas and propane stoves and found that cooking a simple meal over gas or propane can create concentrations of benzene inside that are similar to secondhand smoke. Researchers found that the pollution permeated the house, spiking levels of benzene even in bedrooms, for hours after cooking had stopped.
Gas is nasty stuff. In addition to methane, gas contains 21 other toxic health-harming chemicals. Decades of research shows that gas stoves also expose us to nitrogen dioxide and PM2.5, pollutants that lead to asthma and lung problems. For example, gas stoves are responsible for 12.7% of childhood asthma cases.
Hey mamas, when you light your gas stove, that blue flame = benzene 🔥. Gas stoves release other harmful toxins like nitrogen dioxide and PM2.5 that hurt our kids’ lungs. Protect your family from gas stove pollution. Learn how to #MaketheSwitch ↪️ https://hubs.ly/Q01W7nvN0pic.twitter.com/YuKy2rcjyU— Mothers Out Front (@MothersOutFront) June 28, 2023
Love #CleanCooking ? 🍲🧑🍳 You deserve a better than gas! New research shows gas + propane stoves release benzene into your kitchen at levels comparable to secondhand smoke. Electric appliances are clean, precise, fast & energy efficient #MakeTheSwitch https://hubs.ly/Q01W7nvN0pic.twitter.com/YuKy2rcjyU
Your Kids Deserve Clean Air
Cooking with gas or propane fills our homes with toxic chemicals. This is especially dangerous for growing lungs which are more sensitive to pollution.
Blue Flame? Think Benzene
Burning gas releases dangerous amounts of benzene into our homes. Clean up your kitchen with a safe induction stove that doesn’t put your family at risk.
Take Baby Steps to Bust Benzene
Reduce your reliance on gas by introducing electric appliances. You'll be surprised how often you can skip the stove. When the stove is your only option, open your windows and turn on the vent hood or fan if you have one.
We’ve Been Gaslit by Gas
In one-third of the kitchens tested, turning on just one gas or propane burner for 45 minutes led to concentrations of benzene above common exposure guidelines.
Dr. Drew Michanowicz
We’ve known for many years that cooking with gas stoves creates hazardous chemicals such as carbon monoxide or nitrogen dioxide. This new study adds benzene, a known carcinogen, to that list.
Dr. Eric Lebel
By measuring benzene concentrations
in bedrooms during and after gas burner use, we showed that benzene produced from gas stoves can migrate well beyond the kitchen...linger[ing] for hours in bedroom air, even after the stove is off.
Dr. Drew Michanowicz
Want gas gone?
Ready to get gas out of your kitchen? Reduce your gas use with electric appliances or replace your gas stove with an electric or induction stove. Here’s a guide to help you #MakeTheSwitch to a safe, clean, efficient electric stovetop.